Consumer policy in Australia is a shared responsibility of the Australian Government and the States and Territories. Ministers with responsibility for consumer affairs meet through the COAG Legislative and Governance Forum on Consumer Affairs Forum (CAF) to consider consumer affairs and fair trading matters of national significance and, where possible, develop a consistent approach to those issues. Visit the page on the Consumer Affairs Forum [insert link]
Through CAF and the Closer Economic Relations Trade Agreement, New Zealand is also an active partner in consumer policy development.
The Treasury provides advice to the Commonwealth Government on Australia's consumer policy framework. For more information about consumer policy development, visit Treasury's Consumer Policy webpage .
State and Territory consumer protection agencies
Each State and Territory consumer agency has responsibility for consumer policy within its State or Territory. For more information about consumer policy development in each State and Territory visit:
- Australian Capital Territory – Access Canberra
- New South Wales – NSW Fair Trading
- Northern Territory – NT Consumer Affairs
- Queensland – Office of Fair Trading , Department of Justice and Attorney-General
- South Australia – Consumer and Business Services, Attorney-General's Department
- Tasmania – Tasmanian Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading
- Victoria – Consumer Affairs Victoria
- Western Australia – Department of Commerce (Consumer Protection)
The Ministry of Consumer Affairs provides advice to the New Zealand Government about consumer policy. For more information about consumer policy in New Zealand, visit the Ministry of Consumer Affairs .
Commonwealth Consumer Affairs Advisory Council (CCAAC)
CCAAC provides advice to the Commonwealth Minister on consumer policy issues. It meets two to four times a year. Details of CCAAC are available on the Government Online Directory.
Papers recently published by CCAAC include:
- 2012 – Gift Cards in the Australian Market – Final Report
- 2011 – Gift Cards in the Australian Market – Issues Paper
- 2011 – Sharing of repair information in the automotive industry – Issues Paper
- 2010 – a report entitled Consumers and the ticket market: Ticket onselling in the Australian market
- 2010 – an issues paper entitled Ticket scalping: Ticket onselling and consumers
- 2009 – a report entitled Consumer rights: Reforming statutory implied conditions and warranties
- 2009 – an issues paper entitled Consumer rights: Statutory implied conditions and warranties