For transactions that occurred up to 31 December 2010, the fair trading and consumer protection provisions of the Trade Practices Act 1974 continue to apply.
There are other national laws that continue to apply in certain sectors, namely:
- the Australian Securities and Investments Act 2001 and the Corporations Act 2001, which apply to financial products and services, including banking services, credit, insurance and superannuation;
- the National Credit Code, which applies to consumer credit — for information about the National Credit Code, see the Treasury’s consumer credit website;
- consumer laws relating to telecommunications and media services — for information about these laws, see the Department of Communications and the Arts website;
- laws relating to therapeutic products;
- laws relating to food standards;
- laws relating to trade measurement.